A society is measured by the quality of life it affords its children. About 18.5 million of South Africa’s present population of approximately 52.98 million people are children, 9 million of whom are girl children. The majority of these children live in different degrees of want: lack of shelter, food, clothing, proper education etc. Because of unemployment, poverty, crime, child abuse their lives are in constant state of uncertainty and insecurity; hardship and suffering; neglect and little time for fun and enjoyment.
Children need to be children here and now. They cannot be the future unless they live lives of children when they’re children. In fact, if children cannot be children when they are children, they will negate the very future they are supposed to be. Children need an environment that will provide good health, safety, fun and enjoyment and the stimulus to learn and assist in the creation of the very environment they need to grow up as children and good citizens. It is only if they are first and foremost good citizens, can they be leaders
In South Africa there are 7 million girls and 7 million boys under 14 years, which means children of this age make up 29.2% of the total population. The literacy rate amounts to 86.4%, which means that 13.6% of the population can’t read or write properly, which excludes the concerned individuals from a lot of different opportunities and activities.
The average South African young person goes to school for 13 years, which means he/she doesn’t receive further education after high school. 96% of children of the age between 0 and 17 attend an education facility. What are the other 4% of them doing? 3 in every 5 of children younger than 17 are living in poor households with a total income less than R1200, mostly in rural areas. Every fifth child in SA suffers from hunger and under-nutrition.
4 out of 10 children have to travel more than 30 minutes to the nearest clinic, which can jeopardize their in a cruel situation. 1 in 20 infants dies before their 1st birthday. Half of our children younger than 17 don’t have access to clean, reliable water supply in their house or yard. % million South Africans are infected with HIV, every single day 1000 of them die. 1 in every 3 children younger than 17 lives in informal housing. South Africa was ranked the country with the second highest crime rate in the world by the United Nations. Everyday 3 children get killed, mostly by perpetrators out of their close social environment.
Sending money to any charity organization, could make a huge difference in improving the stats mentioned above and thus making a better South Africa.